South African Traditional Koeksisters is an absolutely perfect snack duting tea time or even breakfast. It is a sticky donut treat that’s deliciously sweet, sticky, crunchy and drenched in syrup.
These koeksisters are sooo good, the perfect snack for any time of the day!
Directions For Syrup.
- In a pot over medium heat add in the water, sugar, lemon and ginger and bring to the boil, Dissolve the sugar and boil for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Add in the lemon juice and the vanilla essence.
- Remove the lemon peel and the ginger and place in the fridge until extremely cold.
Directions For Dough.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add in the butter and mix until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Add in the milk in 2 batches.
- Roll the dough out and cut into long strips.
- Cut those strips into segments which contains three separate strands inside.
- Braid the strands and place on a baking tray. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Fry the dough until golden brown. Immediately add the hot dough into the cold syrup. Allow to cool.